This app was removed from the App Store.
iOS iPad Education
"I have probably scrutinized this app more than any before - If someone asked me to pick just one "Autism App" - excluding essential AAC apps for communication for a moment - this would be the one I would recommend first. " - Amy of Special Apps, Special Kids
“…what makes TOBY unique and superior is that these activities are integrated seamlessly and progressively in one program and it adapts to the individual child.” – The iMums, TOBY Playpad Review October 2012
TOBY Playpad is a unique, therapist-designed Early Intervention application for parents and carers of children with Autism. TOBY’s utilizes both on-iPad tasks and off-iPad tasks to help a child with ASD to learn skills in their real world.
TOBY aims to empower parents to commence early intervention to maximize their child's development using evidence-based techniques.
Therapy Outcomes By You (TOBY) produces a program of tasks for you and your child to do. Tasks are drawn from a curriculum tree and become dynamically available as your child completes pre-requisite tasks. By having a dynamic curriculum, TOBY is able to adapt to your child's learning and developmental needs by choosing goals and adjusting the difficulty of tasks to maximize your child's ability to progress with confidence and ease. All tasks and teaching strategies are based on evidence-based intervention techniques and have been designed by a qualified team, including a speech pathologist, clinical psychologist and occupational therapist.
TOBY’s syllabus targets your child's development in key areas:
✔ Social Skills,
✔ Sensory Discrimination, and
✔ Cognitive Skills.
In a number of ways:
✔ On-iPad tasks for your child alone,
✔ On-iPad tasks for you and your child to complete,
✔ Games and rewards, and
✔ Real-world activities, including play activities and daily tasks.
Based on TOBY’s recommendations you choose what tasks you want to complete each day, and based on your child’s results, TOBY will generate suggestions for the following day’s activities.
A typical day with TOBY might include time on the iPad totaling 20 minutes, and a similar amount of time doing other TOBY-directed tasks that weave into your daily routines and your child’s play interests. Each day you may choose to do, for example, up to two or three activities to complete in total. The amount of activities you do is guided by you and your child.
TOBY is designed for children:
• With a diagnosis of Autism or Pervasive Developmental Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS).
• Who may or may not have an Intellectual Disability or Developmental Delay.
• Communicating mostly through gestures, behaviours (such as hand leading, bringing items), sounds, single words or early two-word phrases.
• Able to sit at a table for a short period of time (up to 10 minutes at a time) and/or has some familiarity with a computer.
• Needing help with early social and play activities.
Children without an autism spectrum disorder and who are in the early phases of learning may also benefit from TOBY’s program. This includes children with a developmental delay or language disorder.
TOBY’s activities can be easily transferred into your child’s everyday life and can be used in a range of settings:
• Learning can easily occur, for example, within the home, at the park, at grandparent’s houses, or in the car – any settings where your child is able to engage in either on-iPad or off-iPad activities. The only limit is your imagination.
• Therapists may like to use TOBY to complement current intervention goals. It is especially helpful in guiding parents with home-based and community-based activities to help generalize a range of important learning skills.
• Teachers may like to use TOBY within the classroom and playground settings to help individual and / or groups of students achieve learning success.
• Fixed registration popup dialog under iOS 7