The FDR Years
The FDR Library makes available thousands of online, copyright free photographs from its collections. This app is a compilation of the images from its collection, categorized into 3 major groups:
Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt
The Great Depression and New Deal
World War II
All images and content are known to be public domain (copyright free) for all commercial and non-commercial purposes.
World War II was a global military conflict between 1939 and 1945, which involved most of the world's nations, including all great powers, organized into two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was the American president during this period, as well as for the 6 years of the Great Depression, which immediately preceded the war.
You do not need an Internet connection to use this app. All images and information are viewable offline.
This is an excellent pocket reference for those who wish to learn more about the pictoral history of World War II, the Great Depression, and Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt.
A subset of the overall feature list for this application includes:
- Advanced search for all images. The top 150 results are returned by the search engine. If you need a more finely-tuned search, simply add more terms into the search field.
- Add/edit/remove images, and access images you added using My Images. If you find data that needs revision, you can edit it using your on-screen keypad, or add your own interesting notes.
- You can rate images on a 5-star system. Once rated, the entry is much easier to access later since you can just tap on the "Top Rated" button in the "More" section at the bottom of the screen.
- Mark your favorite images, and view them in the Favorites area. This is similar to the "Top Rated" feature, but with more direct access since the button is always-visible at the bottom of the screen.
- E-mail any image to a friend, and CC or BCC it, too.
- Rename categories and add/remove categories. We've given you a starting point to help you categorize and organize your images, but you can always add more, or change the default categorization. Also, you can put any image in up to 2 categories, if desired.
- Shake your mobile device for a random entry. This is just fun on every level.
- "View All" images for access to every item in the database.
- Use a simple "finger swipe" gesture to move from one image to another, or use the previous/next buttons.
- Insert a textual comment about the image.
- The history feature keeps a log of what you've seen, so you can always go back to re-read about that image you remembered from days ago.
- A Settings screen allows you to change the relative font sizes and the size of the history table.
This app requires at least OS version 3.0
UPGRADES ARE ALWAYS FREE for applications created by Darren Gates.
COPYRIGHT & LICENSE INFORMATION
The content contained in this application comes from a variety of public domain sources, including US government websites, Wikipedia Commons, public university websites, and public domain data archives. To the best of our knowledge, the images and content used in this app can be used in commercial products without license restriction.
If you have questions about our use of this content, or if you believe that some of this content may be copyrighted, please contact Darren Gates (the author) at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. We take claims of copyright infringement very seriously, and will promptly remove any offending content.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Feb 17, 2010
- Darren Gates
- Average Rating:
- 5.00 (1)
- 48.1 MB