iOS Universal Education
Special Numbers contains a set of activities to help develop early number skills, including counting, matching, ordering, comparing and selecting. Easily adapted for all abilities, with choice of number range, pace, visual objects and use of sound.
We have designed the app in collaboration with parents, children, teachers and educational psychologists, and with reference to research into how children acquire mathematics skills.
What parents and professionals say:
“A really well thought out app with clear graphics and a large range of variables” – Hilary, computer specialist at The Champion Centre in New Zealand.
“This app is an excellent way to help the user understand all the different parts to a number: the name, symbol, value and order. The different settings under each activity really help to make this a great app for users of all abilities” – BridgingApps.
All the activities have been created to be accessible and hold the attention of children with learning difficulties including Down syndrome, autism, poor fine motor skills and hearing impairment. Also appeals to typically developing children.
Special Numbers is suitable for use at home, at school, in nursery or kindergarten, and in therapy sessions.
• Match the Numbers
• Order the Numbers
• Same or Different?
• How Many?
• Into the Box
Settings you can adjust include:
• Range of numbers (between 0 and 20, depending on activity)
• Objects to use (digits, words, balls, animals, flowers, pencils, bugs, clocks and dominoes)
• Fonts (including our own font with easy-to-read digits and letters)
• When and where to use the built in sounds
• Speed of animations (to adjust the pace of the activities)
Special Numbers includes text, audio and a quick start guide in English (both American and British), Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Spanish and Turkish. You can quickly and easily add your own text and voice for any language.
Special iApps is a multi-award-winning nonprofit social enterprise that specializes in creating apps for those with learning disabilities and additional needs.
• All the settings are now in the app itself (not in the Settings app).
• Transferring data using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi is faster and more reliable.
• We have optimised the app for iOS 10 (still supporting iOS 6 to 9).