Partial Differences Subtraction
This math app can be used to teach and study the partial differences subtraction method. The app is easy to use and it has an intuitive interactive interface with customizable colors and other settings. The user can solve random subtraction problems. The number of digits in the numbers can be set.
Endorsed By Teachers
R. Zeni, Ecole Sandy Hill Elementary, Abbotsford, BC, Canada:
"The math apps by Esa Helttula allow students to practice and reinforce the specific computation strategies taught in class, with as much or as little scaffolding as necessary. They also provide individualized feedback to each student, with an immediacy that is not always possible through pencil and paper practice. Being able to adjust the level of difficulty to suit their needs is also very motivating for the students. I am so glad to have come across this great educational tool!"
More endorsements from teachers can be seen at my site: idevbooks.com.
The Partial Differences Subtraction Method
The partial differences subtraction method is a two-step process. In the example 936 - 580, each place value is first subtracted separately from left to right. The partial differences are added and 400 - 50 + 6 produces the answer 356.
In the Everyday Mathematics curriculum the partial differences method is one of the algorithms for subtraction.
The App Is Easy To Use
The numbers are aligned automatically so that the user can concentrate on solving the operations for each column.
After you solve the operation for each column the correct answer will fly to the right place. If you press the wrong button the answer will appear above the keyboard but it will not move.
The App Has The Following Settings:
- Each number can have from 2 to 3 digits
- Problems can be custom or random
- The current operation for each column can be hidden
- The operands of the current operation can be highlighted
- Colors of the interface can be changed
- The speed of the animations can be set
Video Of The App
You can see a video of the Partial Sums Addition app in action at my site idevbooks.com.
Feedback and Requests for New Features
I have made this app to be a useful teaching and learning tool for those children and parents that use the Everyday Mathematics curriculum. New ideas to make this app better are welcome.
Please give feedback at iTunes or visit my site idevbooks.com and give feedback there about this application. Please tell me if you have any ideas for new features.
My Other Math Apps
Some of my 16 other math apps are Column Subtraction, Column Addition, Long Division, Long Multiplication, Fraction Math, Trade-First Subtraction, Lattice Multiplication, etc.
- The +/- signs in answers were sometimes misaligned on iPad and iPhone
- Sometimes the settings preview showed the wrong number of digits on iPhone
In version 2.0:
- The app is now universal and it has custom interfaces for iPhone and iPad
- On the iPad the app can be used in portrait or landscape orientation
Please give feedback and get information about 15 other math apps by visiting http://idevbooks.com
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Aug 22, 2012
- Esa Helttula
- Average Rating:
- No data
- 0.6 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Long Division
• Ancient Egyptian Multiplication
• Column Addition
• Column Division
• Column Subtraction
• Decimal Rounding
• Equal Addition Subtraction
• Everyday Column-Addition
• Fraction Math
• Grid Multiplication
• Lattice Multiplication
• Left-to-Right Subtraction
• Long Multiplication
• Partial Products Multiplication
• Partial Quotients Division
• Partial Sums Addition
• Polynomial Addition and Subtraction
• Polynomial Long Division
• Polynomial Multiplication
• Russian Multiplication
• Trade-First Subtraction
• Visual Multiplication Table
• Whole Number Rounding