Gemstones by Cut
Pictoral database of common gemstones, with high-resolution images. Over 2000 gems are included. The images in this app are categorized by Cut (Step, Hexagon, Rectangle, etc.)
This app includes some information about the gemstone, such as location found, habit, shape, hue, tone, etc. This app is mainly aimed at students, professors, scientists, hobbyists, and those in the field who wish for help identifying gemstones, or learn a bit about what they're seeing in the field.
The gemstone images and content are derived, in part, from the Vargas Mineral and Gemstone Collection, Jackson School of Geosciences, which is affiliated with the University of Texas. All images from that source are considered public domain, and may be freely used for commercial and non-commercial purposes.
You do not need an Internet connection to use this app. All images and information are viewable offline.
This is an excellent pocket reference for those who wish to learn more about gemstones, and especially if you are in the field. If you need help identifying a gemstone, this app may be just for you! This is a photo-based application.
A subset of the overall feature list for this application includes:
- Advanced search for all gems. The top 150 results are returned by the search engine. If you need a more finely-tuned search, simply add more terms into the search field.
- Add/edit/remove gemstones, and access gemstones you added using My Images. If you find data that needs revision, you can edit it using your on-screen keypad, or add your own interesting data, or perhaps an image that you took while in the field.
- You can rate gemstones on a 5-star system. Once rated, the entry is much easier to access later since you can just tap on the "Top Rated" button in the "More" section at the bottom of the screen.
- Mark your favorite gemstones, and view them in the Favorites area. This is similar to the "Top Rated" feature, but with more direct access since the button is always-visible at the bottom of the screen.
- E-mail any gemstone to a friend, and CC or BCC it, too.
- Rename categories and add/remove categories. We've given you a starting point to help you categorize and organize your gemstones, but you can always add more, or change the default categorization. Also, you can put any item in up to 2 categories, if desired.
- Shake your mobile device for a random gemstone. This is just fun on every level. Your kids will like this one, too.
- "View All" gemstones for access to every item in the database. This can take a few seconds to load since there are a LOT of photos in this app.
- Use a simple "finger swipe" gesture to move from one gemstone to another, or use the previous/next buttons. Navigating this gemstones database has never been easier!
- Insert a textual comment about the gemstone. For example, you may want to keep some notes about where you last observed the sample. Or, perhaps you would like to keep track of where you learned about it, or when the photo was taken.
- The history feature keeps a log of what you've seen, so you can always go back to re-read about that gemstone you remembered from days ago.
- A Settings screen allows you to change the relative font sizes and the size of the history table.
UPGRADES ARE ALWAYS FREE for applications created by Darren Gates
COPYRIGHT & LICENSE INFORMATION
To the best of our knowledge, the images and content used in this app can be used in commercial products without license restriction.
If you have questions about our use of this content, or if you believe that some of this content may be copyrighted, please contact Darren Gates (the author) at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. We take claims of copyright infringement very seriously, and will promptly remove any offending content.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Feb 10, 2010
- Darren Gates
- Average Rating:
- 3.00 (7)
- 13.7 MB