This app can be used to teach and study the alternative column-addition method used in the Everyday Mathematics curriculum developed by the University of Chicago School Mathematics Project. The app is easy to use and it has an intuitive interactive interface with customizable colors and other settings.
The Everyday Column-Addition Method
The method is called column-addition method in the Chicago School Mathematics Project but the app is called the Everyday column-addition method to distinguish it from the standard column addition method.
The Everyday column-addition method was developed and shown to the Everyday Mathematics authors by a first grader. The method has two stages. In the first stage the digits are added one column at a time in each column. After the first stage some columns can have two-digit numbers. In the second stage the carries are done to obtain the result.
Endorsed by teachers
R. Zeni, Ecole Sandy Hill Elementary, Abbotsford, BC, Canada:
"The Math apps by Esa Helttula allow students to practice and reinforce the specific computation strategies taught in class, with as much or as little scaffolding as necessary.
They also provide individualized feedback to each student, with an immediacy that is not always possible through pencil and paper practice. Being able to adjust the level of difficulty to suit their needs is also very motivating for the students. I am so glad to have come across this great educational tool!"
The App is Easy to Use
The numbers are aligned automatically so that you can concentrate on solving the operations for each column. Trading is animated step by step so you can see what happens.
After you solve the operation for each column the correct answer will fly to the right place. If the user presses the wrong button the answer will appear above the keyboard but it will not move.
Difficulty can be set with Settings
- Each number can have from 2 to 5 digits
- Problems can be random or custom
- The current operation for each column can be hidden
- The operands of the current operation can be highlighted
- Colors of the interface can be changed
- The speed of the animations can be set
- The lines separating the columns can be hidden
Video of the app
You can see a video of the Everyday Column-Addition app in action at my site idevbooks.com.
Part of a series of 16 iDevBooks math apps
Some of my other math apps are Column Subtraction, Column Addition, Long Division, Long Multiplication, Multiplication Table, etc.
- The app is now universal and it has custom interfaces for iPhone and iPad
- On the iPad the app can be used in portrait or landscape orientation
- Minor bug fixes
Please give feedback and get information about 16 other math apps by visiting http://idevbooks.com
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Aug 22, 2012
- Esa Helttula
- Average Rating:
- 2.00 (1)
- 0.7 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Ancient Egyptian Multiplication
• Column Addition
• Column Division
• Column Subtraction
• Decimal Rounding
• Equal Addition Subtraction
• Fraction Math
• Grid Multiplication
• Lattice Multiplication
• Left-to-Right Subtraction
• Long Division
• Long Multiplication
• Partial Differences Subtraction
• Partial Products Multiplication
• Partial Quotients Division
• Partial Sums Addition
• Polynomial Addition and Subtraction
• Polynomial Long Division
• Polynomial Multiplication
• Russian Multiplication
• Trade-First Subtraction
• Visual Multiplication Table
• Whole Number Rounding