This app can be used to teach and study the alternative column-addition method used in the Everyday Mathematics curriculum developed by the University of Chicago School Mathematics Project. The app is easy to use and it has an intuitive interactive interface with customizable colors and other settings.
The Everyday Column-Addition Method
The method is called column-addition method in the Chicago School Mathematics Project but the app is called the Everyday column-addition method to distinguish it from the standard column addition method.
The Everyday column-addition method was developed and shown to the Everyday Mathematics authors by a first grader. The method has two stages. In the first stage the digits are added one column at a time in each column. After the first stage some columns can have two-digit numbers. In the second stage the carries are done to obtain the result.
Endorsed by teachers
R. Zeni, Ecole Sandy Hill Elementary, Abbotsford, BC, Canada:
"The Math apps by Esa Helttula allow students to practice and reinforce the specific computation strategies taught in class, with as much or as little scaffolding as necessary.
They also provide individualized feedback to each student, with an immediacy that is not always possible through pencil and paper practice. Being able to adjust the level of difficulty to suit their needs is also very motivating for the students. I am so glad to have come across this great educational tool!"
The App is Easy to Use
The numbers are aligned automatically so that you can concentrate on solving the operations for each column. Trading is animated step by step so you can see what happens.
After you solve the operation for each column the correct answer will fly to the right place. If the user presses the wrong button the answer will appear above the keyboard but it will not move.
Difficulty can be set with Settings
- Each number can have from 2 to 5 digits
- Problems can be random or custom
- The current operation for each column can be hidden
- The operands of the current operation can be highlighted
- Colors of the interface can be changed
- The speed of the animations can be set
- The lines separating the columns can be hidden
Other iDevBooks math apps
iDevBooks math apps have been reviewed and endorsed by Wired.com, IEAR.org, Edudemic.com, Teachers with Apps, and other respected sites and organizations.
Some of the other 24 iDevBooks math apps are Column Addition, Long Multiplication, Long Division, Column Subtraction, Visual Multiplication Table, Partial Differences Subtraction, Partial Products Multiplication, Partial Sums Addition, Decimal Rounding, etc.
Feedback and requests for new features
New ideas to make this app better are welcome. Please visit idevbooks.com to give feedback.
This app has no ads or in-app purchases and it does not transmit any data during the operation of the app. This app also does not contain any links to other apps or the web.
- minor interface changes
- new icon
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Sep 11, 2014
- Esa Helttula
- 2.4 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- No data
- All Versions Average Rating:
- No data
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Column Addition
• Column Division
• Column Subtraction
• Decimal Rounding
• Egyptian Multiplication Method
• Equal Addition Subtraction
• Fraction Math
• Grid Multiplication
• Lattice Multiplication
• Left-to-Right Subtraction
• Long Division
• Long Multiplication
• Order of Operations by iDevBooks
• Partial Differences Subtraction
• Partial Products Multiplication
• Partial Quotients Division
• Partial Sums Addition
• Polynomial Addition and Subtraction
• Polynomial Long Division
• Polynomial Multiplication
• Russian Multiplication
• Trade-First Subtraction
• Visual Fractions Decimals and Percentages
• Visual Multiplication Table
• Whole Number Rounding
• World Factbook Visual Edition