Special Learning’s new app “Communicating Basic Needs” has been created using the
principles of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) to allow children with autism or any other
language deficit to easily and effectively communicate their basics needs and wants in five
main categories: food, drink, clothing, toys and emotions using actual photographs and real
voices. The app can easily be turned into an AAC device by simply installing it onto a device,
providing savings of thousands of dollars.
The application’s main purpose is to let non-verbal children communicate what they want
quickly and easily. However, it can also be used as part of a child’s ABA therapy to teach basic
As a basic communications tool, the app focuses on five main categories. However, Special
Learning’s “Communicating Basic Needs” app has several crucially important differences from
every other AAC on the market.
• Simple and fun to use through the easy to use, colorful and intuitive user interface.
• Photo and Voice library containing over 100 actual photographs of food, drink, clothing
and toys. Also includes 9 emotions and four common requests icons.
• Ability to teach generalization skills. The app contains three different photographs to
teach generalization skills.
• Offers extensive customization including:
- Enable/disable pre-loaded photos from the Icon Library;
- Select from four “Voice” options: girl, boy, man and woman;
- Select from five “Themes” or backgrounds: default, aquatic, butterfly, creatures,
- Select from three “Picture Size” options: small, medium and large;
- Select to “Randomize” image selection from a set (of three) or select fixed
images for each item;
- Choose “Word” or “Phrase” for emotions icons;
- Enable or disable “Item Titles”.
- Data capturing and reporting function to track frequency data
Although the free “lite” version comes loaded chock full of features, the paid “full”
version offers these important additional features:
• Extensive library of over 300 photographs (3 images per item) and 500 voices.
• Full customization. Through the back-end web interface users can upload their own
photographs and audio files.
• Comprehensive data collection and reporting function to store historical data and run
queries by time and data ranges in both chart and graph formats.
Every app by Special Learning is designed from the ground up with the help of BCBA’s to be
fully ABA compliant. No other product on the market will fit so seamlessly and integrally into a
child's ABA intervention.
A full version of our ComApp with over 1,000 images and voice files, extensive customization and reporting capability is available for purchase.
If you like this app, please support us by quickly rating the app in the App Store. if you have questions, feedback or need help, just shoot us an email at email@example.com
Added Feedback Feature for Parents and Users to be able to suggest feature additions to the Application.
New Category Icons for children to better identify day-to-day Item Categories
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Jul 14, 2011
- Special Learning, Inc.
- Average Rating:
- 3.50 (6)
- 24.8 MB