This math app can be used to teach and study the column division method. The app is easy to use and it has an intuitive interactive interface with customizable colors and other settings. The user can solve random division problems.
The Column Division Method
The column division method is a simple variation of the traditional long division method. Lines are drawn to separate the digits of the divisor. Each place-value column is solved from left to right.
In the Everyday Mathematics curriculum the column division method is one of the algorithms for division.
Endorsed by teachers
Rita Zeni, Ecole Sandy Hill Elementary, Abbotsford, BC, Canada:
"The math apps by Esa Helttula allow students to practice and reinforce the specific computation strategies taught in class, with as much or as little scaffolding as necessary.
They also provide individualized feedback to each student, with an immediacy that is not always possible through pencil and paper practice. Being able to adjust the level of difficulty to suit their needs is also very motivating for the students. I am so glad to have come across this great educational tool!"
The App is Easy to Use
The numbers are aligned automatically so that the user can concentrate on solving the operations for each column.
After you solve the operation for each partial product the correct answer will fly to the right place. If you press the wrong button the answer will appear above the keyboard but it will not move.
Difficulty can be set with Settings
- The dividend can have from 2 to 5 digits
- The divisor can have 1 or 2 digits
- Custom and random problems
- The current operation can be hidden
- The operands of the current operation can be highlighted
- Colors of the interface can be changed
- The speed of the animations can be set
Other iDevBooks math apps
iDevBooks math apps have been reviewed and endorsed by Wired.com, IEAR.org, Edudemic.com, Teachers with Apps, and other respected sites and organizations.
Some of the other 24 iDevBooks math apps are Column Addition, Long Multiplication, Long Division, Column Subtraction, Lattice Multiplication, Visual Multiplication Table, Partial Differences Subtraction, Partial Quotients Division, Partial Sums Addition, Decimal Rounding, etc.
Feedback and requests for new features
New ideas to make this app better are welcome. Please visit idevbooks.com to give feedback.
This app has no ads or in-app purchases and it does not transmit any data during the operation of the app. This app also does not contain any links to other apps or the web.
- minor interface changes
- new icon
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- 5 days ago
- Esa Helttula
- 2.0 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- No data
- All Versions Average Rating:
- No data
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Column Addition
• Column Subtraction
• Decimal Rounding
• Egyptian Multiplication Method
• Equal Addition Subtraction
• Everyday Column-Addition
• Fraction Math
• Grid Multiplication
• Lattice Multiplication
• Left-to-Right Subtraction
• Long Division
• Long Multiplication
• Order of Operations by iDevBooks
• Partial Differences Subtraction
• Partial Products Multiplication
• Partial Quotients Division
• Partial Sums Addition
• Polynomial Addition and Subtraction
• Polynomial Long Division
• Polynomial Multiplication
• Russian Multiplication
• Trade-First Subtraction
• Visual Fractions Decimals and Percentages
• Visual Multiplication Table
• Visual World Factbook
• Whole Number Rounding