This math app can be used to teach and study the column division method. The app is easy to use and it has an intuitive interactive interface with customizable colors and other settings. The user can solve random division problems.
The Column Division Method
The column division method is a simple variation of the traditional long division method. Lines are drawn to separate the digits of the divisor. Each place-value column is solved from left to right.
In the Everyday Mathematics curriculum the column division method is one of the algorithms for division.
Endorsed by teachers
Rita Zeni, Ecole Sandy Hill Elementary, Abbotsford, BC, Canada:
"The math apps by Esa Helttula allow students to practice and reinforce the specific computation strategies taught in class, with as much or as little scaffolding as necessary.
They also provide individualized feedback to each student, with an immediacy that is not always possible through pencil and paper practice. Being able to adjust the level of difficulty to suit their needs is also very motivating for the students. I am so glad to have come across this great educational tool!"
The App is Easy to Use
The numbers are aligned automatically so that the user can concentrate on solving the operations for each column.
After you solve the operation for each partial product the correct answer will fly to the right place. If you press the wrong button the answer will appear above the keyboard but it will not move.
Difficulty can be set with Settings
- The dividend can have from 2 to 5 digits
- The divisor can have 1 or 2 digits
- Custom and random problems
- The current operation can be hidden
- The operands of the current operation can be highlighted
- Colors of the interface can be changed
- The speed of the animations can be set
Video of the app
You can see a video of the Column Division app in action at my site idevbooks.com.
Feedback and Requests for New Features
I have made this app to be a useful teaching and learning tool for those children and parents that use the Everyday Mathematics curriculum. New ideas to make this app better are welcome.
Please give feedback at iTunes or visit my site idevbooks.com and give feedback there about this application. Please tell me if you have any ideas for new features.
My other math apps
Some of my 16 other math apps are Column Subtraction, Column Addition, Long Division, Long Multiplication, Fraction Math, Partial Differences Subtraction, Lattice Multiplication, etc.
- The app is now universal and it has custom interfaces for iPhone and iPad
- On the iPad the app can be used in portrait or landscape orientation
- Please give feedback and get information about 18 other math apps by visiting http://idevbooks.com
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Aug 22, 2012
- Esa Helttula
- Average Rating:
- No data
- 0.6 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Ancient Egyptian Multiplication
• Column Addition
• Column Subtraction
• Decimal Rounding
• Equal Addition Subtraction
• Everyday Column-Addition
• Fraction Math
• Grid Multiplication
• Lattice Multiplication
• Left-to-Right Subtraction
• Long Division
• Long Multiplication
• Partial Differences Subtraction
• Partial Products Multiplication
• Partial Quotients Division
• Partial Sums Addition
• Polynomial Addition and Subtraction
• Polynomial Long Division
• Polynomial Multiplication
• Russian Multiplication
• Trade-First Subtraction
• Visual Multiplication Table
• Whole Number Rounding