Bugs and Insects
Database of over 900 common bugs and insects (with a special emphasis on butterflies, which has over 400 entries). Many varieties of ants, spiders, cockroaches, beetles, moths, butterflies, and more for your personal interest, and also to help identify pests around the home and garden.
This is an excellent pocket reference for gardeners, students, and bug collectors, or anyone who is interested in learning more about bugs and insects, including both amateur and professional entomologists.
It's really fun to just browse through all the interesting insect pictures, or to try to match up an insect you find in your neighborhood with those in this app.
A subset of the overall feature list for this application includes:
- Advanced search for all bugs and insects. The top 150 bugs are returned by the search engine. If you need a more finely-tuned search, simply add more terms into the search field.
- Add/edit/remove bugs and insects, and access bugs you added using My Bugs. If you find a bug description that needs revision, you can edit it using your on-screen keypad, or add your own definition.
- You can rate bugs and insects on a 5-star system. Once rated, the term is much easier to access later since you can just tap on the "Top Rated" button in the "More" section at the bottom of the screen.
- Mark your favorite bugs and insects, and view them in the Favorites area. This is similar to the "Top Rated" feature, but with more direct access since the button is always-visible at the bottom of the screen.
- E-mail any computer term to a friend, and CC or BCC it, too.
- Rename categories and add/remove categories. We've given you a starting point to help you categorize and organize your bugs, but you can always add more, or change the default categorization. Also, you can put any bug in up to 2 categories, if desired. For example, "hornet" might be placed under multiple categories, like "wasps and hornets" and also "flying insects" (if you happen to have such categories).
- Shake your mobile device for a random insect. This is just fun on every level. Your kids will like this one, too.
- "View All" bugs and insects for access to every item in the database. This can take a few seconds to load since there are a LOT of bugs in this app.
- Use a simple "finger swipe" gesture to move from one term to another, or use the previous/next buttons. Navigating this bugs and insects database has never been easier!
- Insert a textual comment about the bug or insect. For example, you may want to keep some notes about where you learned about the insect, or where you spotted it last in the field.
- The history feature keeps a log of what you've seen, so you can always go back to re-read about that term you remembered from days ago.
- A Settings screen allows you to change the relative font sizes and the size of the history table.
This app requires at least OS version 3.0
**** UPGRADES ARE ALWAYS FREE for applications created by Darren Gates *****
If you liked this app, you'll probably also like things like "Plant Taxonomy" and "Medical bugs DB" and many other knowledge-based applications by Darren Gates.
COPYRIGHT & LICENSE INFORMATION
The content contained in this application comes from a variety of public domain sources, including US government websites, Wikipedia Commons, public university websites, and public domain data archives. To the best of our knowledge, the images and content used in this app can be used in commercial products without license restriction.
If you have questions about our use of this content, or if you believe that some of this content may be copyrighted, please contact Darren Gates (the author) at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. We take claims of copyright infringement very seriously, and will promptly remove any offending content.
In this new version, a slideshow feature has been added, allowing you to peruse all images for any category in a sleek and convenient slideshow format. Slideshow controls such as start, stop, rewind, and fast-forward are available. Clicking on any image in the slideshow will auto-open the image record.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Dec 29, 2009
- Darren Gates
- Average Rating:
- 3.00 (47)
- 52.9 MB