Britannica Kids: Coral Reefs
Learn all about the coral reefs of the world in the latest addition to the Britannica Kids series. Discover the variety of interesting creatures that live on and around coral reefs through a wealth of amazing images (which you can email to friends), videos, games, and informative articles. As it’s from Encyclopaedia Britannica, you can be sure it’s appropriate and safe for the whole family.
The Coral Reefs app is a perfect introduction to the subject of ocean conservation. It explains how reefs are formed and what kinds of problems are facing the reefs and the living things that depend on the reefs. Learning about plants and animals has never been more fun with this quick, interactive, and educational app. The content was developed using Britannica’s curriculum-based content. The text and the captions for the high-quality videos and images werewritten specifically for ages 8-12.
The following topics are covered in the app:
Rainforests of the Sea
How Coral Reefs Are Forme
Where Coral Reefs Are Found
Coral Reef Life: Algae, Plankton, and Plants
Coral Reef Life: Invertebrates
Coral Reef Life: Vertebrates
Coral Reefs in Danger
The learning continues in a new feature, called For Further Reflection, which offers activities and suggestions for how to keep exploring coral reefs.
Coral Reefs A-Z – features 25 different articles:
The really fun stuff:
Map - With this amazing tool you can locate where you are anywhere in the world. You can also find some of the oceans and seas where coral reefs are most common.
Jigsaw Puzzles - created from beautiful images of coral reefs. Have some fun by shaking your device (iPod and iPhone) to mix up the pieces. Then try to slide the pieces back into place to complete the puzzle. It’s not as easy as it looks!
Scramble images of the coral reefs in the Magic Square game by shaking your device. Challenge yourself by trying to get the pieces back in order to unscramble the image.
Brush-off – rub away the image to reveal different types of coral. Try to guess what they are. How many can you identify correctly?
Test your knowledge of coral reefs with the Quiz feature. Find out how much you’ve learned, but hurry: you must answer quickly as the quiz is timed!
Test your memory with the popular Memory Match game. Match all the pairs correctly to win the game!
Why not take your exploration into coral reefs a step further and link to Britannica’s online services – Britannica Online for Kids or Britannica Online – to continue your discoveries.
Try it today!
- Fixed issue running on iPod Touch
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- 5 hours ago
- Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc
- 239.4 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- No data
- All Versions Average Rating:
- No data
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Britannica Chinese Concise Encyclopedia 2013
• Britannica Kids: Ancient Egypt
• Britannica Kids: Ancient Rome
• Britannica Kids: Aztec Empire
• Britannica Kids: Dinosaures
• Britannica Kids: Dinosaurs
• Britannica Kids: Dinossauros
• Britannica Kids: Endangered Species
• Britannica Kids: Florestas Tropicais
• Britannica Kids: Knights & Castles
• Britannica Kids: Rainforests
• Britannica Kids: Snakes
• Britannica Kids: Solar System
• Britannica Kids: Volcanoes
• Britannica Kids: 공룡
• Britannica Настольная Энциклопедия 2013
• Enciclopedia Compacta Britannica 2013
• Encyclopaedia Britannica Lite 2013
• Encyclopædia Britannica