Your 802.11n AirPort Network (a Take Control Book)
Make your 802.11n-based AirPort network fast, reliable, and secure!
Find real-world advice from Wi-Fi wizard Glenn Fleishman on setting up the 802.11n models of Apple's AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and Time Capsule, with full information about the simultaneous dual-band models introduced in early 2009. You'll get help with all the special networking details, such as how to set the best band and channel for your network, use pre-802.11n base stations and clients without hurting performance, set up complex Internet addressing, share USB disks and printers, solve a variety of problems, and much, much more.
If you're trying to solve a particular problem, you can jump in and read the topics in this ebook in any order, but if you start at the beginning, you'll find a primer on important Wi-Fi networking terminology and concepts, and a look at how Apple's 802.11n gear fits into the world of Wi-Fi networking.
With that background, you'll learn how to locate and set up base stations, with diagrams showing common network scenarios-see two examples above on this Web page-and with step-by-step instructions for configuring key Internet sharing and security options and connecting client computers. For those who have funky Internet connections or tricky IP addressing problems, Glenn provides extended advice for creating a working Wi-Fi network.
Glenn also provides real-world steps for important add-ons to a Wi-Fi network, including:
* Getting started with a Time Capsule and Time Machine backups, plus thoughts on making an archive so you can have an offsite backup of your Time Capsule drive and what to do if you want to erase the drive
* Detailed advice for setting up a USB-based printer and for making connections to the printer work from Macintosh and Windows computers
* Help with connecting an Apple TV to your network and advice on how to start syncing it to your computer
* Steps and configuration advice for adding a USB-attached drive to a Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme, with important information about how best to allow and configure client access
* Tips and setup advice for streaming music from an AirPort Express to your stereo system
* Detailed configuration advice for multi-base-station networks
To make your network fly, Glenn helps you:
* Make band and channel choices
* Combine your old 802.11g network with a new 802.11n network to split traffic and maximize network bandwidth
* Extend your network's coverage while handling any interference
Glenn also discusses wireless-network security, noting oft-suggested security approaches that don't work well and explaining how to implement measures that do work well. He covers the new guest networking option in the 2009 models of the AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule.
This 'Take Control' book is a must-have for anyone who needs to quickly and easily set up an AirPort network. --Phil Kearney, "father" of Apple's AirPort product line
"If anyone knows about real-world Wi-Fi, it's Glenn Fleishman."
--Mark Frauenfelder, co-founder of bOING bOING
By Glenn Fleishman
Published by TidBITS Publishing, Inc. (http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781933671505)
Superb Reading Features
* Full book text search
* Several fonts and themes to choose from
* Built-in dictionary
* The ability to add annotations
* Landscape view
* Extensive cross-referencing and working hyperlinks
* Zoom function for images and screenshots
Lexcycle is the creator of Stanza Bookbinder which was used to create this standalone book application. Stanza Bookbinder is based on the popular iPhone Ebook reading application, Stanza. For more information about Stanza, visit www.lexcycle.com.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Jul 23, 2010
- O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- Average Rating:
- No data
- 9.3 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Cooking for Geeks by Jeff Potter - Complete Book, Interactive Edition
• Fluent Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Fluent Conference
• HTML 4 & 5: The Complete Reference
• O'Reilly AO - Official Mobile Guide for the O'Reilly AO Conference
• O'Reilly AO for iPad - Official Mobile Guide for the O'Reilly AO Conference
• OSCON – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Open Source Convention
• Strata – The Official Event App for O’Reilly Strata Conference
• TOC - Official Mobile Guide for the O'Reilly Tools of Change Conference
• Velocity Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Velocity Conference
• Web 2.0 Expo New York - Official Mobile Guide for the Web 2.0 Expo
• Web 2.0 Expo New York for iPad - Official Mobile Guide for the Web 2.0 Expo
• Where Conference for iPad – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Where Conference
• Where Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Where Conference