The Myths of Innovation
By Scott Berkun
Published by O'Reilly Media (http://oreilly.com/catalog/0636920013464)
Learn Valuable Lessons from Innovations Past and Present
How do we know if a hot new technology will succeed or fail? In the revised edition of this fascinating book, bestselling author Scott Berkun pulls the best lessons from the history of innovation, including the recent software and Web age, to reveal powerful and surprising truths about how ideas become successful innovations -- truths people can easily apply to the challenges of today.
Each entertaining chapter centers on breaking apart a powerful myth, popular in the business world despite its lack of substance. You'll learn lessons from the expensive failures and dramatic successes of innovations past, and understand how innovators achieved what they did and what you need to do to be an innovator yourself.
This edition includes four new chapters that apply lessons from the original book and help you develop better skills in creative thinking, pitching ideas, and staying motivated.
"For centuries before Google, MIT, and IDEO, modern hotbeds of innovation, we struggled to explain any kind of creation, from the universe itself to the multitudes of ideas around us. While we can make atomic bombs, and dry-clean silk ties, we still don't have satisfying answers for simple questions like: Where do songs come from? Are there an infinite variety of possible kinds of cheese? How did Shakespeare and Stephen King invent so much, while we're satisfied watching sitcom reruns? Our popular answers have been unconvincing, enabling misleading, fantasy-laden myths to grow strong."
-- Scott Berkun, from the text
"Berkun sets us free to change the world."
-- Guy Kawasaki, author of Art of the Start
Scott Berkun, a manager at Microsoft from 1994-2003, is the author of three bestselling books: Making Things Happen, The Myths of Innovation, and Confessions of a Public Speaker. His work has appeared in The New York Times, Forbes magazine, The Economist, The Washington Post, and Wired magazine, as well as on National Public Radio. He regularly contributes to Harvard Business and BusinessWeek, has taught creative thinking at the University of Washington, and has appeared as an innovation and management expert on MSNBC and on CNBC.
Superb Reading Features
Through a partnership between O'Reilly Media and Lexcycle, this app includes the same features that have made Stanza an iPhone phenomenon with over a million downloads:
* Full book text search
* Several fonts and themes to choose from
* Built-in dictionary
* The ability to add annotations
* Landscape view
* Extensive cross-referencing and working hyperlinks
* Zoom function for images and screenshots
About O'Reilly Media
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, research, and conferences. Whether it's delivered in print, online, or in person, everything O'Reilly produces reflects the company's unshakeable belief in the power of information to spur innovation. Learn more about Ebooks from O'Reilly at oreilly.com/ebooks.
Lexcycle is the creator of Stanza Bookbinder which was used to create this standalone book application. Stanza Bookbinder is based on the popular iPhone Ebook reading application, Stanza. For more information about Stanza, visit www.lexcycle.com.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Dec 15, 2010
- O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- Average Rating:
- No data
- 8.9 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Cooking for Geeks by Jeff Potter - Complete Book, Interactive Edition
• Fluent Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Fluent Conference
• HTML 4 & 5: The Complete Reference
• O'Reilly AO - Official Mobile Guide for the O'Reilly AO Conference
• O'Reilly AO for iPad - Official Mobile Guide for the O'Reilly AO Conference
• OSCON – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Open Source Convention
• Strata – The Official Event App for O’Reilly Strata Conference
• TOC - Official Mobile Guide for the O'Reilly Tools of Change Conference
• Velocity Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Velocity Conference
• Web 2.0 Expo New York - Official Mobile Guide for the Web 2.0 Expo
• Web 2.0 Expo New York for iPad - Official Mobile Guide for the Web 2.0 Expo
• Where Conference for iPad – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Where Conference
• Where Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Where Conference