Solar System for iPad
A breakthrough electronic book about our Solar System, offering hours of interactive exploration and presenting a treasure trove of visual information.
Bestselling author Marcus Chown leads us on a grand tour through the incredible diversity of planets, moons, asteroids, comets and spacecraft that surround the Sun in our cosmic backyard. Illuminating his insightful and surprising text are a wealth of beautiful 3D objects, movies, images, animations, and diagrams, all fully interactive, richly detailed and accurately based on real scientific data.
Set the heavens in motion in an interactive orrery that allows you to control the orbits of the moons and planets, observing them from any viewpoint with breath-taking surface detail. View the latest imagery returned by both manned and robot spacecraft, beautifully presented on the iPad screen. Then double-tap any astronomical object to jump directly to its chapter in the interactive book.
Solar System for iPad is the result of a collaboration between Touch Press (creators of The Elements) and Faber & Faber (London’s greatest independent publisher). It raises the bar yet again on what an interactive book can be. A perfect gift for anyone with an iPad: Solar System allows the imagination to roam free from Mercury to Pluto and beyond.
Winner of the FutureBook Digital Innovation Prize (The Bookseller Industry Awards) – March 2011
“There is so much to this application that I can only begin to the scratch the surface on its offerings. As with The Elements the content and presentation truly make learning fun and inspiring.”
- WIRED Magazine
“The new Solar System for iPad app is an amazing and extraordinarily attractive resource for amateur astronomers... an out-of-this-world digital book that is as informative as it is beautiful. It’s a stellar example for other reference app makers on how to best take advantage of the tablet medium.”
- USA Today, Marc Saltzman
• Exclusive theme song by Björk
• More than150 beautifully presented story pages
• Richly Illustrated with interactive diagrams, videos and 3D objects
• Over 40 rotatable and zoomable 3D astronomical objects
• Over 600 images from NASA, ESA and JAXA space missions
• Detailed captions including technical data
Live astronomical information from Wolfram|Alpha®
English, German, Japanese
About the author:
Leading science writer and former radio astronomer Marcus Chown is cosmology consultant to New Scientist magazine and the author of numerous books including The Quantum Zoo (known internationally as Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You).
IMPORTANT: This update is for iOS 6 only and will not work with iPad 1.
New in 1.1.1:
• Fixed a bug where the app would crash after launching for the first time.
New in 1.1.0:
• Completely re-engineered for iOS6 and retina compatibility.
• A new chapter on the asteroid Vesta, based on information gathered from NASA's space probe, Dawn.
• New stories inspired by discoveries made with the latest Mars rover, Curiosity.
• New story about our recently discovered nearest exoplanet, Alpha Centauri Bb.
• Higher-resolution terrestrial planets and photographs.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Dec 19, 2012
- Touch Press
- Average Rating:
- 3.00 (15)
- 1060.2 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Barefoot World Atlas
• Beethoven’s 9th Symphony
• Beethoven’s 9th Symphony for iPhone
• Gems and Jewels
• Leonardo da Vinci: Anatomy
• March of the Dinosaurs
• Pyramids 3D
• Skulls by Simon Winchester
• The Orchestra
• The Sonnets by William Shakespeare
• The Waste Land
• War Horse Interactive Edition
• X is for X-Ray (iPad)
• X is for X-Ray (iPhone)