Learning ActionScript 3.0
By Rich Shupe and Zevan Rosser
Published by O'Reilly Media (http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527877/)
In this book, authors Rich Shupe and Zevan Rosser share the knowledge they've gained from their years as multimedia developers/designers and teachers. Learning ActionScript 3.0 gives you a solid foundation in the language of Flash and demonstrates how you can use it for practical, everyday projects.
The authors do more than just give you a collection of sample scripts. Written for those of you new to ActionScript 3.0, the book describes how ActionScript and Flash work, giving you a clear look into essential topics such as logic, event handling, displaying content, migrating legacy projects to ActionScript 3.0, classes, and much more. You will learn important techniques through hands-on exercises, and then build on those skills as chapters progress.
ActionScript 3.0 represents a significant change for many Flash users, and a steeper learning curve for the uninitiated. This book will help guide you through a variety of scripting scenarios. Rather than relying heavily on prior knowledge of object-oriented programming (OOP), topics are explained in focused examples that originate in the timeline, with optional companion classes for those already comfortable with their use. As chapters progress, the book introduces more and more OOP techniques, allowing you to choose which scripting approach you prefer.
Learning ActionScript 3.0 reveals:
* New ways to harness the power and performance of AS3
* Common mistakes that people make with the language
* Essential coverage of text, sound, video, XML, drawing with code, and more
* Migration issues from AS1 and AS2 to AS3
* Simultaneous development of procedural and object-oriented techniques
* Tips that go beyond simple script collections, including how to approach a project and which resources can help you along the way
The companion web site contains material for all the exercises in the book, as well as short quizzes to make sure you're up to speed with key concepts. ActionScript 3.0 is a different animal from previous versions, and Learning ActionScript 3.0 teaches everything that web designers, GUI-based Flash developers, and those new to ActionScript need to start using the language.
Through a partnership between O'Reilly Media and Lexcycle, this App includes the same great reading features that have made Stanza an iPhone phenomenon with more than a million downloads in 2008:
* Search the full book text
* Change the font size
* Landscape view when you tilt your iPhone
* Extensive cross referencing and working hyperlinks
* Zoom in on images and screenshots
About O'Reilly Media:
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, research, and conferences. Whether it's delivered in print, online, or in person, everything O'Reilly produces reflects the company's unshakeable belief in the power of information to spur innovation. Learn more about ebooks from O'Reilly at oreilly.com/ebooks.
Lexcycle is the creator of Stanza Bookbinder which was used to create this standalone book application. Stanza Bookbinder is based on the popular iPhone eBook reading application, Stanza. For more information about Stanza, visit www.lexcycle.com.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Dec 15, 2010
- O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- 5.0 MB
- Current Version Average Rating:
- 4.00 (17)
- All Versions Average Rating:
- 4.00 (17)
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Cooking for Geeks by Jeff Potter - Complete Book, Interactive Edition
• Fluent Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Fluent Conference
• HTML 4 & 5: The Complete Reference
• OSCON – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Open Source Convention
• O’Reilly Software Architecture Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Software Architecture Conference
• Solid – The Official Event App for O’Reilly Solid Conference
• Strata – The Official Event App for O’Reilly Strata Conference
• Velocity Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Velocity Conference