By Chris Tyler
Published by O'Reilly Media (http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596526825/)
"Neither a "Starting Linux" book nor a dry reference manual, this book has a lot to offer to those coming to Fedora from other operating systems or distros."
-- Behdad Esfahbod, Fedora developer
This book will get you up to speed quickly on Fedora Linux, a securely-designed Linux distribution that includes a massive selection of free software packages. Fedora is hardened out-of-the-box, it's easy to install, and extensively customizable - and this book shows you how to make Fedora work for you.
Fedora Linux: A Complete Guide to Red Hat's Community Distribution will take you deep into essential Fedora tasks and activities by presenting them in easy-to-learn modules. From installation and configuration through advanced topics such as administration, security, and virtualization, this book captures the important details of how Fedora Core works--without the fluff that bogs down other books and help/how-to web sites. Instead, you can learn from a concise task-based approach to using Fedora as both a desktop and server operating system.
In this book, you'll learn how to:
* Install Fedora and perform basic administrative tasks
* Configure the KDE and GNOME desktops
* Get power management working on your notebook computer and hop on a wired or wireless network
* Find, install, and update any of the thousands of packages available for Fedora
* Perform backups, increase reliability with RAID, and manage your disks with logical volumes
* Set up a server with file sharing, DNS, DHCP, email, a Web server, and more
* Work with Fedora's security features including SELinux, PAM, and Access Control Lists (ACLs)
Whether you are running the stable version of Fedora Core or bleeding-edge Rawhide releases, this book has something for every level of user. The modular, lab-based approach not only shows you how things work-but also explains why--and provides you with the answers you need to get up and running with Fedora Linux.
Chris Tyler is a computer consultant and a professor of computer studies at Seneca College in Toronto, Canada where he teaches courses on Linux and X Window System Administration. He has worked on systems ranging from embedded data converters to Multics mainframes.
Superb Reading Features
Through a partnership between O'Reilly Media and Lexcycle, this app includes the same features that have made Stanza an iPhone phenomenon with over a million downloads:
* Full book text search
* Several fonts and themes to choose from
* Built-in dictionary
* The ability to add annotations
* Landscape view
* Extensive cross-referencing and working hyperlinks
* Zoom function for images and screenshots
About O'Reilly Media
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, research, and conferences. Whether it's delivered in print, online, or in person, everything O'Reilly produces reflects the company's unshakeable belief in the power of information to spur innovation. Learn more about Ebooks from O'Reilly at oreilly.com/ebooks.
Lexcycle is the creator of Stanza Bookbinder which was used to create this standalone book application. Stanza Bookbinder is based on the popular iPhone Ebook reading application, Stanza. For more information about Stanza, visit www.lexcycle.com.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Dec 15, 2010
- O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- Average Rating:
- 3.00 (10)
- 13.1 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Cooking for Geeks by Jeff Potter - Complete Book, Interactive Edition
• Fluent Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Fluent Conference
• HTML 4 & 5: The Complete Reference
• OSCON – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Open Source Convention
• Strata – The Official Event App for O’Reilly Strata Conference
• Velocity Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Velocity Conference