This app was removed from the App Store.
Douey Reims Bible Unabridged
iOS iPhone Books
The complete text of the Douey-Reims Bible on your mobile device!
This unabridged edition of the well-regarded Douey-Reims Bible includes every chapter of the Old and New Testaments, organized by book, then by verse.
Learning from several different translations will give you a more comprehensive and honest look at scripture, because it reveals which parts of the Holy Bible were subject to greater translation variance and subjectivity on the part of the translator.
This app is NOT intended as a book that can be read from beginning to end. It's intended as a way to quickly find a particular verse, or to navigate verse-by-verse through a particular book of the Christian Bible, and rate verses that you like, mark them as favorites, etc. In other words, it's more of a "reference" rather than an actual readable book.
A subset of the overall feature list for this application includes:
- Advanced search for all Biblical verses. The top 150 verses are returned by the search engine for particular keywords. If you need a more finely-tuned search, simply add more terms into the search field.
- Add/edit/remove verses, and access verses you added using My Verses. You can edit verses using your on-screen keypad (for example, you may want to add some notes after the verse that help clarify the meaning of the verse). You can even add your own verse... I know that seems odd for the Bible, but the idea is that you can add a verse from another translation for quick comparison, if desired.
- Rate verses on a 5-star system. Once rated, the verse is much easier to access later since you can just tap on the "Top Rated" button (in the "More" section)
- Mark your favorite verses, and view them in the Favorites area. This is similar to the "Top Rated" feature, but with more direct access since the button is always-visible at the bottom of the screen.
- E-mail any verse to a friend, and CC or BCC it, too.
- Rename categories and add/remove categories. A "category" is simply a book of the Bible in this context. If you want to hide the Old Testament, for example, or rename one or more books so that they are easier to find, this feature may come in handy.
- Shake your mobile device for a random verse. This is just fun on every level. Your kids will like this one, too. This app can be an excellent educational tool for kids. It's also a good way to find a random "starting point" for a Sunday school lesson.
- "View All" verses for access to every part of the database. This can take a few seconds to load since there are a LOT of verses.
- Use a simple "finger swipe" gesture to move from one verse to another, or use the previous/next buttons. Navigating the verses database has never been easier!
- Insert a textual comment about the verse. For example, you may want to add your interpretation for a particular verse. Or, perhaps you would like to keep track of when you last used the verse in a lesson or sermon.
- The history feature keeps a log of what you've seen, so you can always go back to re-read that verse you remembered from days ago.
- A Settings screen allows you to change the relative font sizes and the size of the history table.
This app requires at least OS version 3.0
**** UPGRADES ARE ALWAYS FREE for applications created by Darren Gates *****
If you liked this app, you'll probably also like other Bible-based applications by Darren Gates. We currently have about 5 different Bible translations, including 2 translations of the Holy Qur'an.
In this new version, a URL field has been added, so that you can link any item to an external website. You can also directly rate items on the browse screen in addition to the editing screen. Some minor bugs have also been fixed.