Building the Realtime User Experience
By Ted Roden
Published by O'Reilly Media (http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596806163)
The Web is increasingly happening in realtime. With sites such as Facebook and FriendFeed leading the way, users are coming to expect that all websites should serve content to them as it occurs. With this book, you'll learn how to add several realtime features to your site -- everything from chat and messaging services to streaming content feeds -- without making significant changes to your existing infrastructure.
Moving towards a realtime model doesn't mean just updating content in your web browser. It requires getting the content to users as quickly as possible and letting them interact with it on their own terms. Building the Realtime User Experience explores several practical web-based examples of realtime -- including how realtime works and how to build it using Tornado, Comet, PubSubHubBub, App Engine, XMPP, AWS, and other technologies.
* Learn how to build a homepage that aggregates short updates into a larger format
* Use the Comet web development model, which enables a web server to push data to a browser rather than having the browser request it
* Understand the unique requirements for setting up a basic chat service
* Discover the advantages of web apps outside of the browser, based on SMS and IM
* Learn how realtime affects web advertising, and how you can measure user engagement to support ads
* Build an application that combines several features, including chat, Comet, and more
Superb Reading Features
Through a partnership between O'Reilly Media and Lexcycle, this app includes the same features that have made Stanza an iPhone phenomenon with over a million downloads:
* Full book text search
* Several fonts and themes to choose from
* Built-in dictionary
* The ability to add annotations
* Landscape view
* Extensive cross-referencing and working hyperlinks
* Zoom function for images and screenshots
About O'Reilly Media
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, research, and conferences. Whether it's delivered in print, online, or in person, everything O'Reilly produces reflects the company's unshakeable belief in the power of information to spur innovation. Learn more about Ebooks from O'Reilly at oreilly.com/ebooks.
Lexcycle is the creator of Stanza Bookbinder which was used to create this standalone book application. Stanza Bookbinder is based on the popular iPhone Ebook reading application, Stanza. For more information about Stanza, visit www.lexcycle.com.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Dec 14, 2010
- O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- Average Rating:
- No data
- 9.0 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Cooking for Geeks by Jeff Potter - Complete Book, Interactive Edition
• Fluent Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Fluent Conference
• HTML 4 & 5: The Complete Reference
• OSCON – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Open Source Convention
• Strata – The Official Event App for O’Reilly Strata Conference
• Velocity Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Velocity Conference