British Library 19th Century Collection
iOS iPad Books
This application provides access to titles from the British Library’s 19th century book collection. It includes classic novels, works of philosophy, history and science. Browse, search and read these historical books on a platform that enhances the reading experience.
Remarkable hidden gems in this wonderful collection include a contemporary account of the exhumation of Napoleon’s body, the memoir of a battlefield nurse during the American Civil War and an ethnographic study from 1884 of the Gypsies of the Scottish Borders. Along with the many titles in English, the App also features classics in Spanish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese and Dutch.
These digital book images have been captured in colour to preserve the look of the original book. Marbled papers, embossed covers, engraved illustrations maps, and beautifully coloured plates are intact and help create a unique reading environment.
This application contains many free titles and the option to purchase ongoing access to over 60,000 books for $89. Your purchase helps support the British Library.
The British Library 19th Century Historical Collection is the 2012 winner of the Publishing Innovation Award in the Reference/Academic category, and is a Quality, Excellence, and Design Seal recipient.
• Access thousands of historical books
• Search the collection
• Browse titles by subject
• Read commentary on selected titles
• View images of original maps
• See author inscriptions and margin notes
• Create favorite title lists
• Download books for offline reading
• Share interesting books with friends
• A Featured Collection of High Seas Adventures books
• Ability to share books through e-mail
• Ability to share the app on Facebook