ActionScript 3.0 Cookbook
By Joey Lott, Darron Schall, Keith Peters
Published by O'Reilly Media (http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596526955/)
Well before Ajax and Microsoft's Windows Presentation Foundation hit the scene, Macromedia offered the first method for building web pages with the responsiveness and functionality of desktop programs with its Flash-based "Rich Internet Applications". Now, new owner Adobe is taking Flash and its powerful capabilities beyond the Web and making it a full-fledged development environment.
Rather than focus on theory, the ActionScript 3.0 Cookbook concentrates on the practical application of ActionScript, with more than 300 solutions you can use to solve a wide range of common coding dilemmas. You'll find recipes that show you how to:
* Detect the user's Flash Player version or their operating system
* Build custom classes
* Format dates and currency types
* Work with strings
* Build user interface components
* Work with audio and video
* Make remote procedure calls using Flash Remoting and web services
* Load, send, and search XML data
* And much, much more ...
Each code recipe presents the Problem, Solution, and Discussion of how you can use it in other ways or personalize it for your own needs, and why it works. You can quickly locate the recipe that most closely matches your situation and get the solution without reading the whole book to understand the underlying code. Solutions progress from short recipes for small problems to more complex scripts for thornier riddles, and the discussions offer a deeper analysis for resolving similar issues in the future, along with possible design choices and ramifications. You'll even learn how to link modular ActionScript pieces together to create rock-solid solutions for Flex 2 and Flash applications.
When you're not sure how ActionScript 3.0 works or how to approach a specific programming dilemma, you can simply pick up the book, flip to the relevant recipe(s), and quickly find the solution you're looking for.
Adobe Developer Library is a co-publishing partnership between O'Reilly Media and Adobe Systems, Inc. and is designed to produce the number one information resources for developers who use Adobe technologies. Created in 2006, the Adobe Developer Library is the official source for comprehensive learning solutions to help developers create expressive and interactive web applications that can reach virtually anyone on any platform. With top-notch books and innovative online resources covering the latest in rich Internet application development, the Adobe Developer Library offers expert training and in-depth resources, straight from the source.
Superb Reading Features
Through a partnership between O'Reilly Media and Lexcycle, this app includes the same features that have made Stanza an iPhone
phenomenon with over a million downloads:
* Full book text search
* Several fonts and themes to choose from
* Built-in dictionary
* The ability to add annotations
* Landscape view
* Extensive cross-referencing and working hyperlinks
* Zoom function for images and screenshots
About O'Reilly Media
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, research, and conferences.
Whether it's delivered in print, online, or in person, everything O'Reilly produces reflects the company's unshakeable belief in
the power of information to spur innovation. Learn more about Ebooks from O'Reilly at oreilly.com/ebooks.
Lexcycle is the creator of Stanza Bookbinder which was used to create this standalone book application. Stanza Bookbinder
is based on the popular iPhone Ebook reading application, Stanza. For more information about Stanza, visit www.lexcycle.com.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Dec 14, 2010
- O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- Average Rating:
- 4.00 (7)
- 6.2 MB
- Other Apps By This Developer
• Cooking for Geeks by Jeff Potter - Complete Book, Interactive Edition
• Fluent Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Fluent Conference
• HTML 4 & 5: The Complete Reference
• O'Reilly AO - Official Mobile Guide for the O'Reilly AO Conference
• O'Reilly AO for iPad - Official Mobile Guide for the O'Reilly AO Conference
• OSCON – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Open Source Convention
• Strata – The Official Event App for O’Reilly Strata Conference
• TOC - Official Mobile Guide for the O'Reilly Tools of Change Conference
• Velocity Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Velocity Conference
• Web 2.0 Expo New York - Official Mobile Guide for the Web 2.0 Expo
• Web 2.0 Expo New York for iPad - Official Mobile Guide for the Web 2.0 Expo
• Where Conference for iPad – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Where Conference
• Where Conference – the Official Event App for the O’Reilly Where Conference