A Feast of Words (by Cynthia Griffin Wolff)
iOS Universal Books
A FEAST OF WORDS by Cynthia Griffin Wolff (unabridged) is presented by Blackstone Audio and comes with what is perhaps the best audiobook app available (see FEATURES, below).
“Eloquently written, passionate, and brilliantly argued….The most moving account I’ve ever read of the problems of women in literature.” (Richard Poirier)
The mystery of how a wealthy New York socialite became a major American novelist is brilliantly explored in this definitive psychological interpretation of Edith Wharton’s life and work. This edition includes two new chapters illuminating Wharton’s times and creative process.
Self-contained, this audiobook app is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. Based on a library-quality recording, this app was built especially for your iPhone and iPod Touch. No unreadable text, no endless scrolling on a tiny screen. The audio is of higher-than-normal quality, making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears or grate on your nerves.
NOTICE: This app includes the exact same 5-star recording offered elsewhere at much higher prices. It was professionally recorded by Blackstone Audio’s Audie® Award-winning narrator, Anna Fields. You are not buying yet another amateur or volunteer narration. No clicks, background noises, throat clearing, mispronunciations, tinny voices or monotones will be found here.
“Fields's powerful reading is richly seductive and melodic….a satisfying and scholarly portrait of the woman as artist.” (AudioFile)
• EXPERIENCE. About 19.5 hours of narration. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ edition, this book includes extra functions and features not found on lesser players.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, one-touch chapter- and bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that finds any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airplane-ready! Once downloaded, listen uninterrupted without threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
• TELL-A-FRIEND. An easy way to recommend the book to your friends or Twitter feed.
• FEEDBACK. Share your ideas for books, functions, and features. We are very responsive to our listeners and appreciate all feedback and ideas.
RATING: 9+ Suitable for adults with an interest in the life and work of Edith Wharton.
The mystery of how a wealthy New York socialite became a major American novelist is brilliantly explored in this definitive psychological interpretation of Edith Wharton’s life and work. This edition includes two new chapters illuminating Wharton’s times and creative process: one on Lily Bart and the lethal stereotypes of women on the nineteenth-century stage, and another on the way Wharton’s own sensual awakening led from the frozen austerity of Ethan Frome to the lyricism and tempered happiness of Summer. Everyone who admires Wharton’s novels will want to experience this superb biography.
• Added compatibility for iOS 5
• Miscellaneous bug fixes
• Updated user interface and experience