Google Maps for iOS got a major update yesterday that makes the popular mapping app compatible with the iPad and adds several new navigation features. The 2.0 update hit the App Store last night and is free to download.
Here’s the full list of what’s new in this version:
- New design for iPad
- Enhanced navigation including live traffic updates and incident reports
- Explore: A new way to browse and discover popular local places to eat, drink, shop, play and sleep
- Simple 5-star ratings and reviews from friends, plus expert Zagat content
- Great deals from your favorite brands with Google Offers
- Indoor maps with walking directions for malls, transit stations, airports and more
This update makes Google Maps a compelling alternative to Apple’s own Maps app for iPad users. With the furor over the errors in Apple’s Maps app last year (many of which haven’t been corrected yet in my personal experience), Google is certainly keen on keeping iOS users invested in its own map data and related services. If you haven’t yet downloaded Google Maps, it’s definitely worth a go if you’ve been unimpressed or even led astray by Maps.