Intego, the maker of antivirus, anti-spam and other software for multiple platforms, has announced the release VirusBarrier for the iPhone and iPad today. Although there is no known malware that affects iOS, VirusBarrier is a malware scanner that focuses on scanning email attachments and other files before they reach a Mac or PC that could be vulnerable to attack.
VirusBarrier iOS lets you easily scan e-mail attachments, other files you have access to on your iOS device, or files on remote locations such as MobileMe and DropBox, web servers or WebDAV shares. VirusBarrier iOS uses Intego’s award-winning VirusBarrier X6 scanning technology to detect and eradicate all known malware affecting Windows or Macs: viruses, worms, Trojan horses, fake antiviruses, and other types of malware that might otherwise pass through undetected.
Unlike computers, iOS apps have limited access to run in the background so VirusBarrier can’t run scheduled scans on its own and can only check for malware on demand when the app is opened. It can scan files received via email or stored elsewhere on the device or files stored in the cloud on services like Dropbox, iDisk and others.
VirusBarrier’s feature list is as follows:
- Scans of files received by e-mail, on remote locations, or on iOS devices
- Scans files for Mac, Windows and Unix viruses and malware
- Scans files for spyware, Trojan horses, adware, hacker tools, dialers, keyloggers and more
- Scans ZIP archives
- Repairs infected files
- Scans email attachments*, files downloaded from Safari*, and files accessed by applications supporting inter-app file transfers*.
- Scans remote locations in the cloud, such as Dropbox, iDisks and WebDav disks
- Scans websites for known phishing URLs, web threats, and malware hosting
- Automatically updates malware definitions
- Completes scans in the background
- Keeps logs of scans
VirusBarrier includes a one year subscription to Intego’s malware definitions. After this, you can buy another 12-month subscription for $1.99 via in-app purchase. The subscription automatically renews every twelve months unless you turn off this automatic renewal in your iTunes account settings.
VirusBarrier costs $2.99 and is a universal app to offer an iPad-specific interface. It’s compatible with the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and requires iOS 4.0 or higher.