Telenav, the California-based company that provides location based apps and services for mobile devices, announced the upcoming release of a turn-by-turn GPS app for the Verizon iPhone 4. Telenav GPS for the Verizon iPhone 4 will be available shortly after the release of the device on February 10 and will be free to download.
GPS guidance through the app will be free for the first 30 days and will then cost $2.99 per month or $21.99 per year, which will be billed directly by Verizon and included on customers’ monthly bill.
The app will still work partially without a monthly or annual subscription, offering GPS maps and local search capabilities only. The premium features, which are free for the first 30 days, include the following:
- 2D and 3D Moving Maps – Users can see their current location and nearby streets with accurate, moving maps viewable in 2D or 3D with zoom in and out options.
- Automatic Reroute – TeleNav GPS users don’t have to worry about missing a turn while navigating. The application will quickly update the route and redirect them to their destination.
- Automatic Map Updates – TeleNav GPS features regular map updates to ensure that users are being routed using the most up-to-date maps available. Updates are automatic, so users aren’t required to perform a manual installation or buy updated content.
- Nighttime Optimized Navigation – TeleNav GPS adjusts brightness levels to make viewing easier during nighttime driving.
- iOS Multitasking Support – Users can access and use other iPhone applications with TeleNav GPS navigating in the background.
Telenav has posted a video previewing the app’s features:
Telenav already provides a similar version of the app for AT&T iPhone users, dubbed AT&T Navigator, though AT&T charges substantially more for its version at $9.99 per month or $69.99 per year.