Apple updated its Apple Store app early this morning adding a host of features using the iPhone’s GPS capabilities to streamline Genius Bar and personal shopping appointments and improve the overall shopping experience. The free Apple Store app first debuted in the App Store in June and this is the first significant update the app has seen.
The full list of new features is as follows:
- Add engraving and gift wrapping to select purchases from the Apple Online Store
- Reserve products for pickup at an Apple Retail Store
- Check in for Apple Retail Store appointments and call up quick help within stores (iOS 4 required)
- Add Apple Retail Store appointments directly to iCal
- View your upcoming Apple Retail Store activity on a map
- Ability to recognize you when you arrive to an Apple Retail Store and offer you a personalized set of services (iOS 4 required)
Those waiting for a white iPhone 4 may be excited to see that it appears as if the heretofore elusive version of the device can be reserved for pick-up in an Apple Store soon – the white version is listed when reserving an iPhone 4 for in-store pick-up in the app. However, Apple has not confirmed anything about the white iPhone 4′s availability recently since its last statement in July when the company indicated it would not be available until “later this year.” Though since a little over two months remain in this year, the company may simply be preparing for its release within the timeframe committed in July.