iPhone and iPod touch users with diabetes will soon have an accessory and companion app that will help them monitor blood glucose levels. Sanofi-aventis, a global pharmaceutical company headquartered in France, has announced (via Diabetes Mine) its upcoming BGStar glucose monitoring accessory that will plug into the dock connector of an iPhone or iPod touch. The companion iBGStar Diabetes Manager app will offer management of data obtained through the accessory.
The ultra-compact BGStarTM can be plugged into an iPhone® or iPod touch® and displays results on a full-color, touch screen. It can also be used separately for on-the-go testing. The specially-designed and simple iBGStarTM Diabetes Manager App will allow data to be easily managed and communicated to healthcare professionals.
The company’s product page offers additional information on the plug-in accessory and accompanying app:
- Samples are analysed using Dynamic Electrochemistry® – an intelligent technology for results you can trust.
- The iBGStar™ is an innovative blood glucose meter with a compact, stylish body that can be used on its own or connected to an Apple iPhone® or iPod® touch to easily display, manage and communicate your diabetes information.
- You will be prompted to automatically download the iBGStar™ Diabetes Manager App (available soon on the App Store℠) the first time the iBGStar™ is connected to your iPhone.
- Your iBGStar™ will automatically sync data each time it is connected to an iPhone® or iPod touch® and the iBGStar™ Diabetes Manager App is launched.
- The iBGStar™ Diabetes Manager App (available soon on the App Store℠) helps you keep track of blood glucose, carbs intake and insulin dose, with even more to come to manage your diabetes in ‘real time’ and on the go.
The BGStar accessory and iBGStar app will be available in early 2011. Pricing has not yet been announced though the BGStar module is expected to cost around $80, according to Diabetes Mine.
There are currently a number of apps available for diabetics to help track and monitor blood glucose levels, though none offer an iPhone-specific accessory for direct blood glucose level measurement. A few of the most highly-rated of these apps are as follows: