It was just a few days ago that Navigon impressed us with a video of its impending update to its MobileNavigator apps to take advantage of multitasking in iOS 4, but TomTom has apparently beat all of the other navigation app developers to the punch and its own iOS 4-optimized update is available right now.
Version 1.4 of the TomTom apps includes a ton of new features including updated maps plus the ability to continue seeing visual navigation guidance during phone calls (on iPhone 3GS and up only) and voice instructions in the background when using another app. Here’s a full list of what’s new:
- SEAMLESS NAVIGATION WHILE CALLING (iPhone 3GS only*): See continuous visual instructions, even when you are on a call, so you still find your way. Now making and answering calls safely won’t slow you down.
- NEW, UPDATED MAPS: Drive with the latest maps. TomTom maps include 1 million more miles of US roads than competitors and have been rated highest in quality and reliability. Your TomTom app comes ready to navigate with the most accurate, most up-to-date maps available.
- BACKGROUND NAVIGATION INSTRUCTIONS (iPhone 3GS & iPod touch 3rd Gen. only*): Lets you see other apps on your screen while still receiving spoken turn-by-turn instructions.
- ROUTE SHARING: Share your route details with your contacts via email. Keep friends and family up to date with your plans.
- DEPARTURE REMINDER: Your departure is synched with your calendar, so you can set it and get a timely reminder.
- ECO ROUTES: Save money and reduce your impact on the environment by driving with these more fuel-efficient Eco Routes.
- CAR SYMBOLS: Personalise the car symbol on your driving screen. Choose from a range of car icons and symbols.