Twitter, the wildly popular social networking service, now has its own official iPhone app. The Twitter app starting appearing in the App Store for international users last night and just became available in the U.S. App Store a short while ago.
The release of the Twitter app falls in line with the company’s announcement last month about its acquisition of Atebits’ Tweetie. Twitter had then stated that Tweetie would be re-branded to be the official Twitter app and would be offered for free. The app’s description notes the transition from Tweetie to Twitter and describes some new features that have been added:
Tweetie is now Twitter! We didn’t just do a name change, we’ve added a bunch of new stuff
- Search has been reorganized, now you can search all tweets and find users in the same spot, view Top Tweets and Browse Suggested users.
- Search results now include Top Tweets, try it with Trends…winner combo!
- You can now use Twitter without an account! Search, Browse uses, view trends and top tweets.
- Sign-up is now availabile within the application as well, complete with Suggested user list.
- More tab has been re-organized to accomplish all this. Users with one account can add a second account under the Accounts and Settings button here.
- Actions we’ve found people use most, like Retweet have been moved to the main actions bar.
- Minor tweaks were made to tweet rendering so they match Twitter.com tweets